Sunday, August 19, 2012

Celebrating Eid at the beach!

We have officially survived our first Ramadan, which ended last night!  For the most part, Ramadan didn't impact our life too much.  Since I didn't have a driver's license for most of the month, we didn't get out and about too much.  We thought Ramadan ended day before yesterday, so we took the boys to the mall and movies.  The theater was open, but the concession stand and all the restaurants and food court/stands in the mall were still closed.  Of course, we arrived at lunch time, so we were all hungry and no food!!  The grocery store in the mall sold prepared foods, so we picked up some food for the boys (they can eat in public, but adults can't during Ramadan).  For those that know me well, you know that I can't skip a meal ... headaches and the "west" temper comes out in full force when I don't get food.  How do Muslims go all day without any food or drink for an entire month??  I couldn't do it and keep my family.  I got so hungry, I actually hid in a bathroom stall and ate a snack!!!  So gross!!!  But you gotta do what you gotta do!

Today is the start of Eid - a holiday that celebrates the end of Ramadan.  I imagine Muslims are feasting all day long!  I would if I just fasted for 30 days!!

Ken has a few days off for Eid, we took the boys to the beach.  The water was amazingly clear and so calm!!!  It was a really nice beach!  Shallow forever, so the water was ridiculously warm!!!  Almost like a hot tub in some areas!!  The boys loved the warm water, but still not a huge fan of the salt.  I was impressed we stayed as long as we did ... even with the water and cooler breeze, it was crazy hot!!




 Al Wakra beach ... about 30 minutes from our house.


Nicholas looking for tiny little crabs in the shallow water.



Jaden holding some of the tiny crabs.



Working together...


The boys bucket of "loot" - lots of clams and tiny little hermit crabs.  We had to change the water in the bucket frequently so we didn't cook the little critters!  :-) 


I don't think I've posted any pictures from around Doha ... here's the turning circle right before the beach.  They often have statues in the middle ... this one looked like a giant shell.


This was the sand dune right before the beach ... sand dune or sand mountain??

No comments:

Post a Comment